With a new book out this week, here are a few things you didn’t know about Mrs. Andrews, the world of OFF THE RAILS, and the other characters in the book.
- She hates to be called Sophia. Even in my head she goes by “Mrs. Andrews.” And no, before you ask, I didn’t name her after myself. It was a coincidence. Sophia isn’t even her real name, but for more on that you’ll have to read the book.
- Originally, I wanted to set the book in Ohio, but around here we’ve always been slow on the uptake when it comes to women’s rights. I had to set the book in New York State for the legalities of the plot to work.
- The book was inspired by our All Hallows Eve event at the village, one of the first years I participated. Usually I’m in the Taylor house, helping with the Irish Wake, and voilà. An Irishwoman investigating the death of her husband was born.
- You might notice several characters named after American presidents. This wasn’t intentional. A lot of the surnames in the book started out as placeholders, but then I decided it was both funny and fit with the feel of the book, so I left it.
- Mrs. Perry was inspired by the first female Pinkerton detective, Kate Warne.
I hope these teasers help to whet your appetite for more! Off the Rails is available now on Amazon in paperback and ebook. The ebook edition is up in my Etsy store, and signed paperbacks will be coming soon.
Like what you see? Check out Netflix Binge: Historical Fiction